Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve compiled answers to the most frequently asked questions but if you have a query that isn’t covered here, please let us know and we’ll answer you directly.
- Do you cover the drone when it is in flight?
Yes. We cover the drone whilst it is in flight.
- Can you cover more than one drone on one policy?
Yes. We can cover many drones on one policy. Just let us know details of all drones that you own and we can add them to the policy.
- If I buy another drone during the course of the year can I add that to my policy?
Yes. just let us know the details for the new equipment and we’ll add it to your policy.
- Does the policy cover the drone and my other equipment whilst in transit?
Yes. we cover the drone and equipment anywhere in the world (subject to certain excluded territories), including in transit. There is however a policy endorsement that you need to be aware of that imposes some common sense restrictions to make sure that appropriate security measures are in place when you leave the equipment in an unattended vehicle. Contact us for details on this aspect.
- Are there any restrictions regarding the number of flying hours?
No. You can operate your drone(s) as little or as much as you like.
- Can you provide cover when we use the drone abroad?
Yes. Our policy provides worldwide cover as standard (subject to certain excluded territories)
- Do you provide any cover whilst training?
Yes. Provided that the flight training is carried out with an experienced trainer, cover can be agreed subject to slightly higher policy excesses to reflect the increased risk from an inexperienced operator. We would need details from you regarding the nature of the training to be undertaken so that we can advise you properly regarding the extent of cover that is available.
- What are the requirements for flying a drone (sub 20kg) in the UK?
You need to have obtained a permission to fly from the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) pursuant to Article 166 and 167 of the Air Navigation Order 2009 (as amended).
- How do I obtain the permission from the CAA?
There are essentially two routes here
- Direct application to the CAA
- Application via a CAA Qualified Entity